What I’m Using
Developer culture states that we must be curious about the setup of our colleagues. I’m always curious about how other developers work, so this page assumes that of you too. If there’s anything missing below please feel free to contact me so I can make the list a bit more comprehensive.
- Running on WordPress.
- Search is powered by SearchWP, as is the Related content.
- Contact form is powered by Gravity Forms.
- Custom theme inspired by brutal-theme.
- Hosted by Pagely.
- Really quite smitten with Vue right now.
- I like how Parcel works as a build system facilitator.
- Excited to build out my first Laravel application. Have you seen Nova? 🤯
- I like integrating these things into code that ends up running alongside WordPress.
- Check out GitHub for even more specifics.
- I use Visual Studio Code the majority of the time.
- Dank Mono is my font of choice (it took me a bit to get used to ligatures but I’m on board, and I like italics for comments)
- Theme is Cobalt2 by one of my heroes Wes Bos.
Visual Studio Code Extensions
- advanced-new-file Allows you to create a file from the command prompt.
- Auto Close Tag Automatically close your tags (works 95% of the time).
- Auto Rename Tag Automatically rename the other item of a tag pair.
- Better Comments Allows you to categorize your comments.
- Better PHPUnit Tighter integration with PHPUnit.
- Bracket Pair Colorizer Apply nested highlighting to your brackets.
- Cobalt2 Theme Official Accept no substitutes!
- Code Spell Checker Attempts to be better at spell checking within code. Works sometimes, I’m probably using it wrong.
- Color Highlight Highlights colors used in your code.
- Copy Markdown as HTML Easily generate HTML from your markup on the fly.
- GitLens Neat insight into your project’s git status in various ways.
- Import Cost Tells you (inline) how much all of those imports are costing you.
- laravel-blade Blade is Laravel’s templating language.
- Material Icon Theme Nice icon theme.
- npm Built in support for npm.
- Output Colorizer Adds additional colorization to output in panels.
- Paste and Indent Properly format pasted code.
- Path Intellisense Provides inline tips for file paths.
- PHP Debug PHP Debug adapter for debugging PHP.
- PHP Intelephense Better codesense for PHP.
- phpcs Integrate phpcs support.
- Prettier Stop stressing about formatting your code, Prettier does it all.
- REST Client Test your REST without leaving your code.
- Vetur Vue tooling.
- I use a 2017 13″ MacBook Pro (with TouchBar) but I’ve had my eye on a Dell XPS 13 for years and I think it’s about time to switch.
- Dell u3415W 34″ UltraWide Display.
- Twelve South BookArc (always in clam shell mode.)
- Logitech MX Master mouse.
- Apple Magic Keyboard
- Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920
- Rode Podcaster with shock mount on boom arm.
- IKEA desk top with AnthroDesk dual motor legs.
- Tempur-Pedic TP9000 chair.
- Eufy Lumos E1 LED Desk Lamp.
- Alfred starts up just about everything, calculates everything, and gives me snippets.
- I use Things after having used OmniFocus for a decade.
- I use Sketch to design when I need to design.
- Time Machine and Backblaze provide redundant backup.
I spent many years building up a collection of DSLR gear but some time ago I switched to a mirrorless setup with a Fujifilm X100T but after wanting some zoom sold that and went with a Fujifilm X-T1 which I enjoy very much. To date I have resisted picking up additional lenses, but I’m not sure how much longer that will last.